8 Wedding Costs You Haven’t Thought About

Wedding venue's have hidden costs

Your wedding is, of course, designed to be the most special day of your life and this means no expense spared on the most beautiful location, food and decoration. However, there will always be certain costs that can crop up to surprise you as the big day approaches; they can make even discount weddings more expensive. So, to help make things more transparent and prepare you for any unwanted financial surprises, making for a more affordable wedding, here are 8 hidden wedding costs:

1. Vendor meals. Often, it is presumed you will cover food on the day for your vendors, such as photographer, videographer, band etc. 

2. Cleaning costs. In many cases, this is already included in the price of your venue rental, but in some cases, it’s not and can be rather expensive.

3. Dinner rentals. Again, many venues have this equipment for you to use within the price, but some don’t. Hiring this equipment in can be very expensive and timely.

4. Alterations to dress. Of course purchasing a second-hand dress is a good way for the bride to save a lot of money, but alterations can be very expensive if it doesn’t fit your exact measurements. Be sure to confirm the cost alterations with the store before going ahead with the purchase. 

5. Cake cutting. You may be surprised to find out that cake cutting is not typically performed as a part of a package and is then charged, by many chefs, on a per customer basis. 

6. Overtime. Be sure to confirm what time you are allowed to use certain services until, such as the venue and DJ’s or bands who often stop at around 10pm and will charge to assist you further.

7. Invitation postage. If you are sending glamorous wedding invitations or even simple invitation, then check if you can afford the cost of postage for each one. 

8. Wedding party clothing and accessories. When it comes to planning a wedding, be sure to remember that you will need to either buy or rent the clothing for bridesmaids and groomsmen etc. This includes small accessories like jewellery and cufflinks if you want everyone to look the same. A good way around this is to give these items, as the bridesmaid or groomsmen gifts. 

There are two key things you should do to best deal with these hidden wedding costs. The first is to make yourself well aware of them and to factor them in with any purchases. For example, if buying a second-hand dress allow a little wiggle room for any costly alterations you will need to have made. The second thing you can do is leave a margin of error within your wedding budget to allow for these hidden costs. So once you’ve decided on a target budget for your wedding, it would be wise to allocate 85% of that budget to everything you will need, then the remaining 15% can cover the inevitable fees that will always crop up, however careful you’ve been.